Cannot Run Processing Examples on Ubuntu

When I run any Processing example on Ubuntu, I see the following message in the window that pops up "Connect to a BlinkyTape", but am unable to select any serial device or do anything in that window. I am able to use both Arduino and Python to connect to Blinkytape using device /dev/ttyACM0 after I added my user account to the dialout group as requested by the Arduino app. I'm running Processing 2.1.1 on Ubuntu 13.10.

Comments

• Hey there --

Sorry about that. That's odd, I don't see why our code isn't working. Maybe the Java Serial isn't returning a proper list of serial port name strings.

I think you're going to have to manually connect rather than using our list-based serial selector routine.

Find the line like this:

bts.add(new BlinkyTape(this, s.m_port, numberOfLEDs));

And change s.m_port to "/dev/ttyACM0" - I think that should do it.
  • Still no good. I changed s.m_port to "/dev/ttyACM0" and reran the app, but still see the message "Connect to a BlinkyTape".
  • Right, sorry, I think I was actually leading you astray there - that's actually a more complicated and manual way to do this.

Here's another attempt: revert the main file in the example back to the original (put s.m_port back) and then replace the SerialSelector tab with this: https://gist.github.com/Threeethan/9419326

It looks like we tried to make it cleverly filter out some ports to make things simpler for OS X users. All I've changed is one line:

if(s.startsWith("/dev/tty")

to

if(s.startsWith("/dev/cu")

Basically I think we were filtering out the wrong ports for your system.

Let me know if this works and I can then make the change throughout our examples...
  • Yes!!!! That works now. I am able see the list of serial devices and select /dev/ttyACM0. The list of devices does go off the page and you can accidentally select two devices, but I guess this is a limitation of the ControlP5 library. Anyways thanks very much for helping me fix this!
  • Thanks for hanging in and glad you're enjoying it!
  • Shall I submit a pull request to get the examples fixed or will you take care of it?
  • Thanks for the pull request!