Building a Pattern Paint Release not work

Hello,

I have modified the BlinkyTape firmware for RC models. With the PWM signal on pin A9 the BlinkyTape can be controlled: change patterns, control brightness, switch off.

Now I have problems with creating a release version. The script "release_patternpaint_windows.sh" does not work anyway. No Windows Installer is created. Only a temporary folder.

I hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Cool modification!

Hmm- do your modifications run when launched from Qt Creator? Can you post the output from running the release file?

Also, you'll need to install several tools, were you able to install the exact versions mentioned here:
    https://github.com/Blinkinlabs/patternpaint#windows-prerequisites

It's working on my laptop and our continuous integration server, so hopefully it's just a small configuration or documentation issue.

• Another thing that just came to mind is that the script requires you to have a valid windows software signing certificate- you'll either need to get one (and replace the blinkinlabs one with your own), or modify the script to remove the signature part.

• Yes in the QT Creator runs everything. It is created in the releas folder of QT an EXE file, but does not run alone, because the DLL files are missing. I copy the EXE file manually into the installation folder of Patternpaint it runs.

I also installed the r1cross.cer certificate.
    I've just seen that the XML files in the appcast folder must be customized for a new version. Can it be that is why no installer is generated?

• Are you running the build script from git bash? Please post any output that show up in the terminal when you run the command.

The r1cross certificate is only useful if you also paid GlobalSign for a signing certificate- it's probably best to disable the signing parts for now.

The XML file isn't used during the build process, so it doesn't have any effect on this process.

• Hello Matt
    It is probably easier if I send you the new firmware. You can test them, and if you like, you can install them in the next official version.

The new firmware requires only 274byte more than the previous one. The changes are:

• PWM signal from an RC receiver is supported (at input A9)
    • from servo position -40% to + 5% the LEDs are switched off
    • from servo position + 5% to + 100% the pattern runs and the brightness can be adjusted
    • the pattern is switched under -40%
    • tested with FUTABA and SPEKTRUM transmitters
    • If the BlinkyTape is operated without PWM, it runs normally
    • Frame delay has been optimized
    • general firmware size optimized
  • Cool! I'd like to include it as an example with the BlinkyTape Arduino library, at least:
    https://github.com/Blinkinlabs/blinkytape_arduino

Feel free to send a pull request if you have a github account, or you should be able to attach it to a forum post here.

• Also, it just so happens that i'm in the middle of re-writing the PatternPaint distribution scripts. Part of that is a flag to skip the signing bits if a signature is not valid.

• I have just downloaded the current Pattern Paint code, but the compilation under MAC does not work. With Windows functions perfectly.
    Compiler message (OSX):

ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/Users/mlehmann/Daten/Elektronik/Arduino/RCrgbLEDcontroller/PatternPaint-master/build-PatternPaint-Desktop_Qt_5_7_0_clang_64bit-Release/libblinky-test/../libblinky/release/'
    ld: library not found for -lblinky
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    make[1]: *** [libblinky-test.app/Contents/MacOS/libblinky-test] Error 1
    make: *** [sub-libblinky-test-make_first] Error 2
    13:07:34: Der Prozess "/usr/bin/make" wurde mit dem Rückgabewert 2 beendet.
    Fehler beim Erstellen/Deployment des Projekts PatternPaint (Kit: Desktop Qt 5.7.0 clang 64bit)
    Bei der Ausführung von Schritt "Make"
    13:07:34: Verstrichene Zeit: 00:37.

• Ay, sorry about that- I restructured the project to separate the controller logic into a separate library from the main GUI (so it can be tested more easily), however I've had problems getting the linking to work in linux and macOS. Apparently I need to copy libblinky into the appimage manually before running the macdeployqt.

If you need to just run the program, it should still work correctly through Qt Creator.

• As of now, PatternPaint should build again on all platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux), using both the distribution scripts and through Qt Creator. Please let me know if there are still issues.

In addition, I made the signing steps optional on both Windows and macOS- when running the dist script, it will skip signing if you don't export a SIGNING_ID environment variable, and display a nice warning instead. Thanks for reporting these issues!

• Yes Perfect ! Best thanks for your great work.