Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Production Sketch Errors

Just ran VERIFY on the sktech. It produces the same errors when trying to upload. This output is with verbose on.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown" -DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo" -I
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -I
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo -I
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM -I
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED -I
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BlinkyTape_Arduino
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\ColorLoop.cpp -o
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\ColorLoop.cpp.o
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown" -DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo" -I
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\Flashlight.cpp -o
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\Flashlight.cpp.o
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\ProductionSketch.cpp -o
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\build3706842885601128457.tmp\ProductionSketch.cpp.o

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:43:0,
from ProductionSketch.ino:4:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'frameData'
#define PROGMEM __attribute__((section(".progmem.data")))
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BlinkyTape_Arduino/Animation.h:17:22: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
uint8_t* frameData PROGMEM; // Pointer to the begining of the frame data
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'currentFrameData'
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BlinkyTape_Arduino/Animation.h:20:29: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
uint8_t* currentFrameData PROGMEM; // Pointer to the current position in the frame data
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'frameData'
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BlinkyTape_Arduino/Animation.h:42:38: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
const uint8_t* frameData PROGMEM,
^
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BlinkyTape_Arduino/Animation.h:52:38: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
^
Error compiling.

Comments

• Which version of Arduino and FastLED are you using? Can you compile any of the FastLED examples?

This looks like a version mismatch issue to me- at some point in recent Arduino releases (maybe the jump from 1.0 to 1.6), the GCC compiler version was updated from a really old but stable one to a newer version, and this affected how PROGMEM works.
  • Same here, but on mac os El Capitan.
    Did brew update, brew upgrade. Also tried on 1.6.5 and 1.6.0 same result.
    Some of example are compiling though: ButtonExample, ColorSwirl and HelloBlinky works, but LotsOfLeds doesn't.
    stack trace:
    Arduino: 1.6.0 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
    In file included from /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.1.0/FastLED.h:43:0,
    from LotsOfLeds.ino:3:
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.1.0/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'frameData'
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/BlinkyTape_Arduino-1.2.0/Animation.h:17:22: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
    uint8_t* frameData PROGMEM; // Pointer to the begining of the frame data
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.1.0/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'currentFrameData'
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/BlinkyTape_Arduino-1.2.0/Animation.h:20:29: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
    uint8_t* currentFrameData PROGMEM; // Pointer to the current position in the frame data
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.1.0/fastled_progmem.h:45:57: error: section attribute not allowed for 'frameData'
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/BlinkyTape_Arduino-1.2.0/Animation.h:42:38: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
    ^
    ^
    /Users/{user_home}/Documents/Arduino/libraries/BlinkyTape_Arduino-1.2.0/Animation.h:52:38: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
    ^
    Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    enabled in File > Preferences.
  • Ah, now I see. FastLED 3.1 redefined PROGMEM to be:

which breaks the function definitions in animation.h. Looking at it now...

A workaround for the moment would be to use FastLED 3.0. Apologies for the trouble!
  • Ok, here's an updated version:
    https://github.com/Blinkinlabs/BlinkyTape_Arduino/releases/tag/2.0.0

I've updated the class definition for Animation, to remove references to PROGMEM. This was a bug that got exposed by the new version of FastLED. Let me know if there are any issues!
  • Thanks for this fix. The sketches now build properly on my Win10 Machine