EightByEight - error uploading demo sketch from Arduino IDE: espcomm_open failed
I just got by EightByEight this weekend and I'm eager to start playing. It seems like a really rad little piece of hardware!
I was able to get PatternPaint working with it, but when I tried to upload one of the example sketches, I get the errors:
warning: espcomm_sync failed error: espcomm_open failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
I followed the instructions in the Getting Started Guide to load the ESP8266 Board info.
I am pretty new to Arduino, so I could be making some newbie mistake that's just not documented in the 8x8 docs.
Here is the full set of steps I've gone through so far:
- downloaded and installed arduino IDE for Mac v1.8.4
- followed instructions to Install the ESP8266 Board
- configured the Tools > Board configs according to the screencap in the Getting Started guide (also set Tools > Port to /dev/cu.usbmodem1421
- at this point I could open the Serial Port monitor and it shows debug info when you hold the button down (mac & IP address, accelerometer info)
- downloaded the app from http://blinkinlabs.com/blinkytape/patternpaint/
- quit out of the arduino app and restarted the pattern paint app to get the "save to blinky" button to be enabled
- I also had to do "tools > restore firmware" to get the 8x8 to respond to pattern paint
- after that it worked to preview the patterns on the device, and when i "saved" the patterns to the blinky and unplugged it, they were added to the end of the pre-loaded demos.
Next I tried loading an Arduino sketch, starting with the BlinkyDemo from the EightByEight repo
but I get an error whenever I try to upload a sketch. I tried out some of the example arduino sketches too, and they're giving the same error.
Here's the full output when I try to upload a sketch:
Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/8l/s03hdskd4xv2jskdlwyrk66c0000gn/T/arduino_cache_708934/core/core_esp8266_esp8266_generic_CpuFrequency_80,FlashFreq_40,FlashMode_qio,UploadSpeed_460800,FlashSize_2M,ResetMethod_nodemcu,Debug_Disabled,DebugLevel_None_____c9d37bcc24a4e4f34f6c8352a98fda97.a Sketch uses 275877 bytes (26%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1044464 bytes. Global variables use 35848 bytes (43%) of dynamic memory, leaving 46072 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes. warning: serialport_set_baudrate: baud rate 460800 may not work warning: espcomm_send_command: wrong direction/command: 0x01 0x00, expected 0x01 0x08 warning: espcomm_send_command: wrong direction/command: 0x01 0x00, expected 0x01 0x08 warning: espcomm_sync failed error: espcomm_open failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
Do I need to reset the firmware again to upload a sketch from the Arduino IDE?
If so, is the "Updating the ARM Firmware" link from the Getting Started guide the one I should follow?
Thanks in advance!