Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blinkytape Python on Raspi

Hi,

I've been trying to get the blinky tape working on raspi with python.

I have arduino 1.6.5 running on the pi and can upload the colorSwirl project. So there is no issue with accessing the device.

However when I run

python BlinkyTape.py -p /dev/ttyACM0

it just stops

here is the run with strace

open("/dev/ttyACM0", O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, {B115200 -opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}) = 0
ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, {B115200 -opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}) = 0
ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_START or TCSETS, {B115200 -opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}) = 0
write(3, "\0\0\377", 3) = 3
ioctl(3, TCSBRK

looking at the BlinkyTape.py code this is at the self.serial.flush()

So it looks like it is not cooperating with the serialLoop on the tape.

I have the latest git clones of everything fresh today.

Any ideas, not sure what to try next.

Cheers

Comments

• Update:

I was able to get this working by compiling and loading the ProductionSketch sketch.

I was under the impression that the ColorSwirl sketch also has the SerialLoop but I guess that there is some difference in the code which means that it is not reading the queue correctly.

If I find any differences I will post here.
  • Glad you got it working! Apologies about the trouble with SerialLoop- it looks like we do indeed have a few different versions of it in our examples. I suppose the best way to fix this will be to implement SerialLoop() in the library, so each example can reference the correct version.
  • Also, as a reference to anyone coming to look at this, you can always restore your firmware to the latest release using PatternPaint- just run pattern paint, connect your tape to your computer, then select 'Tools->Restore Rainbow Sketch' or 'Tools->Restore Default Firmware'