Re-indexing Tiles

Can you please explain how to re-index tiles? I have a base set plus one expansion and I'd like to be able to address each individually (i.e. 1-56). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sure- there's a guide for it hidden on our website:
    http://blinkinlabs.com/blinkytile/changing-addresses-on-your-tiles/

The easiest thing to do is to start building with one of the 1-14 sets, then once you have them all connected, go through the re-addressing procedure on those, and change them to addresses 43-56. Then, the rest of the tiles can be used with no conflicts.

Also, you can change the addresses as many times as you like, so if you decide later that it would be easier to control them if they had a different order, it's no problem to do so.
  • Awesome, thanks Matt.
  • Hey Matt, I have no programming experience and would like to be able to readdress the numbers for the tiles, i have the standard plus the expansion kit combined. I have installed python and the github files, after that I am lost looking at all the text in the files. I hope you can help me soon. Thanks
  • Hi krazy, we'll try to do a quick video of the process tomorrow, if you've got python and the github repo you should be pretty close!
  • excellent Matt thank you cant wait
  • Hey guys, sorry for the slow response here- we've been rushing through a bunch of orders and packing before taking off on a trip. Will try to do a quick video tomorrow- we have a small sculpture with us that could use re-indexing.
  • I understand, thanks for the update.
  • Ok, recorded a quick video, and updated the instructions since they were a little out of date. I also corrected a small bug in the address programmer script, that was preventing it from working for addresses >14.

The video is here:

and the updated instructions are still here:
    http://blinkinlabs.com/blinkytile/changing-addresses-on-your-tiles/
  • Third: run the programming script.. how do get that far? feels like i am inches away from success... also what power supply is best to avoid glitches when full bright ... you are a very knowledgeable and helpful person Matt. thank you
  • Hey there krazyUSMCnaik -

I'm just wondering how familiar you are with running python programs and how far along you are with getting the necessary items installed. Did you have any trouble installing Python on your computer?

Also, what type of computer are you using? I believe everything should work just fine on Windows but it's certainly be tested more on Mac.
  • I have no programming experience at all, I am just someone is at the ground levels of working with drones/ electronics after my military career. I have built a great looking sculpture but am having a hard time trying to understand and execute the process of readdressing tiles. I have windows 7. I have unzipped the github files C:\Users\Naik\Desktop\New folder (5)\BlinkyTile-master, installed python, and pyserial which made a folder in C:\python34. If I am a lost cause please let me know.
  • OK, no problem! So I believe that you should have what you need (I think that the scripts have been updated to work with Python 3.x at this point...)

Basically what you're going to do is open a the command prompt, then navigate to where you installed the Blinkytile files. I might suggest renaming "New folder (5)" because it's a bit annoying to type.

Here's a bit more about running the command prompt on Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/command-prompt-faq#1TC=windows-7

Basically you're going to open the prompt, navigate to the proper folder by typing "cd C:\Users\Naik\Desktop\New folder (5)\BlinkyTile-master" and then type "python addressprogrammer.py"

At that point you're basically telling the python program (which interprets python code) to run and execute the program we've written.

There's a lot to learn about the command prompt and programming, which you'll definitely run into as you learn more about electronics; we'll do our best to point you in the wrong direction but just remember that the syntax needs to be very exact...and that there are a lot of resources online to learn about it, so Google exact error messages etc.