garbage characters on the port name

Arduino 1.6.5
FastLED 3.1
Windows 10

When I try to update the BlinkyTape with the ColorSwirl it fails because it sees a bunch of garbage characters in the port name. I only see that in the Arduino app, not in Windows anway. This is the failure when uploading to the BlinkyTape.

"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM10ÚÙÿÿÿÿÿ?ñ": The system cannot find the file specified."

Any suggestions? I'm looking on too, and I'll post back if I learn something of use to all.



  • Hmm- can you run PatternPaint, choose help->system information, and copy and paste what it shows there? That would tell if it's a windows problem or a java serial problem.

    Also, do you have a regular Arduino, to see if it gets a weird name too?

    Finally, I'm guessing you were using this successfully before, did anything else in your system change? It might be something that a reboot could fix if it was just a driver issue.
  • edited October 2015
    I've not been using the tape much and when I was, I was on Windows 7. So many things have changed. But PatternPaint works and it doesn't append any extra characters to the com port name.

    "Operating system: Windows (Unknown Version)" <-- this is wrong though. Its Windows 10.

    Pattern Paint 1.8.0
    Build Date: Jul 27 2015 08:25:58
    Operating system: Windows (Unknown Version)
    QT information:
    Build Date: Tue Feb 17 2015
    Path: C:\Qt\5.4\mingw491_32\lib
    Detected devices:
    Detected Serial Ports:
    Manufacturer: Arduino LLC (
    Description: Arduino Leonardo
    VID: 0x2341
    PID: 0x8036
    Manufacturer: FTDI
    Description: USB Serial Port
    VID: 0x403
    PID: 0x6001

    Feels more and more like an Arduino issue.
  • Ah, ok. The Windows (Unknown Version) thing is safe to disregard, it's because the QT library used predates Windows 10.

    I've got a Windows 10 system here that doesn't seem to have an issue with Arduino 1.6.3, but haven't tried 1.6.5 yet. Interested to hear what you find out!
  • OK.. I figured this out... For me on Windows 10. In explorer to go to \Program Files (x86)\Arduino\Arduino.exe and right click. Bring up properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and UNCHECK the compatibility mode. Then run arduino and the proper port (boar type) shows up. On my machine it was COM12 (Arduino Leonardo).

    All fixed.
Sign In or Register to comment.